The Russian Library Association, the Library Assembly of Eurasia, the National Library of Russia, the Russian State Library, the Russian Book Chamber and the Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences are cooperating to hold an International Bibliography Congress on September 21-23, 2010 in Saint Petersburg. Bibliographers from all the countries of the world are invited.
It will cover the main range of issues concerning bibliography:
- Bibliography as a sociocultural phenomenon: current state of bibliography, new developments, and forecasts for the future.
- Bibliography and education.
- Bibliography as a science: its object, subject, methodology, and tasks. Present-day theoretical and methodological concepts.
- History and stages of development (periodization) of bibliography. Outstanding bibliographers.
- Unification of bibliographical terminology and the standardization of bibliographical processes.
- Current bibliographical activity. Funding and the technical basis for bibliographical activity.
- Bibliography in electronic media.
- Bibliographical service at libraries and information science institutions: real and virtual forms.
- Bibliographical resources: concepts, kinds, types, forms, and problems of creating bibliographies and their uses.
- National bibliography (current and retrospective): international tendencies and domestic experience.
- Bibliographical provision of science. Bibliographies of the separate branches of knowledge (history, studies of literature, and others).
- Current bibliographical activity in regional studies.
- Bibliographical and archeographical sources at the libraries, archives, and museums.
- Exposure of the stock of library and information institutions by bibliographical means.
- Bibliography and information culture of personality.
- Teaching of bibliographical subjects. Current trends.
- Information about the current bibliographical activity in professional bibliographical serials.
- Bibliography and related disciplines.
It is supposed to hold two plenary and various sectional meetings considering the problems of the history of bibliography; national; local bibliography; bibliographical and archeographical sources at the libraries, archives, and museums; reference services at the libraries and others.
Registration fee won't be collected, except of the business organizations.
Working languages of the Congress are Russian and English. Simultaneous translations will be provided into these languages whenever possible.
The Organizing Committee of the Congress reserves the right to select the papers for their presentation at the plenary session, sectional meetings and for poster session.
The Organizing Committee does not provide funds for the travel and accommodation expenses and visa support for participants of the Congress (see Visa Support).
Please, inform us in advance if you need hotel accommodation (see Accomodation), and supply your dates of stay in St. Petersburg.
Applications for participation are accepted up to 1 August, 2010.
If you would like to register for the conference, please, fill in the online Registration Form or send the completed form by e-mail at to Lidia Novikova or Ekaterina Trubina (see also Contacts) or by mail at the address:
Bibliography and Local Studies Department.
The National Library of Russia.
18, Sadovaya street
St. Petersburg 191069
Chairman of the Organizing Committee,
Director General of the National Library of Russia,
President of the Russian Library Association,
The International Bibliography Congress will be held in St. Petersburg on 21-23 September in 2010 at the Main Building of the National Library of Russia at the address: 18, Sadovaya street (the Gostiny Dvor metro station, the corner of Nevsky prospect and Sadovaya street); and at the New Building of the National Library of Russia at the address: 165, Moskovsky Prospekt (the Park Pobedy metro station); and at the Library of the Academy of Sciences of Russia at the address: 1, Birgevaya line (the Nevsky Prospekt metro station, then trolleybuses 1, 10, buses 7, 24 till the stop "University" or trolleybus 7, bus 191 till the stop "Birgevaya Ploschad"). More detailed information about the venues of plenary and sectional meetings will be provided in the program for Congress participants.
The subjects of the papers have to meet the main range of problems of the Congress. Time limits for the plenary meetings are 20 minutes, for sectional meetings - 15 minutes; for the discussions - 10 minutes.
Every participant should indicate the title of his/her paper and the equipment necessary for the presentation in the Registration Form.
We ask you to provide an abstract of no more than 200 words covering the main content of the paper. Please, type your abstract in 12 point Times New Roman font, and use single spacing.
Full papers will be published in a proceedings volume which is due to come out after the International Bibliography Congress. Please, pass your texts for publication (20 000 signs maximum) to Lidia Novikova or Ekaterina Trubina during the Congress. Power Point presentations are not included into the publication texts.